Al Jazeera import quits TVNZ amidst sexual allegations

Al Jazeera is the state-owned Arabic-language international broadcaster of Qatar aiming to be the friendly unbiased source of news. But they will never report on the damage Islam does to Western countries.  Paul Yurisich, himself ex-Al Jazeera man, has his first setback when Kamahl Santamaria, his Al Jazeera import quits TVNZ amidst sexual allegations.

Please remember: Al Jazeera is owned by the Qatari government, protector and fundraising terrorists groups Hamas and Hezbollah. For these appointments to be made just a year after the Christchurch mosque shooting raises alarm bells for those following the global trends of Islamic influence in the world! Perhaps this won’t be the last time an Al Jazeera import quits TVNZ.

This excerpt from the wikipedia page of Kamahl Santamaria reveals the skill set that he was employed for:

In 2004 Kamahl moved to New York and London, and in 2005 was recruited by Al Jazeera English to become a news presenter in Doha, Qatar.

Over 16 years, he fronted news and current affairs across the channel – news bulletins, the Newshour, discussion show Inside Story – and between September 2009 and November 2016 was the regular host of the weekly business and economics programme Counting the Cost.

He was also the primary presenter of Al Jazeera’s interactive newshour newsgrid which ran between November 2016 and March 2019. The show was nominated for an International Emmy Award in October 2018.

As a reporter and field anchor, Kamahl also reported for Al Jazeera from Zimbabwe, South Africa, Germany, Dubai, France, the United States, the Philippines and the World Economic Forum in Davos.

He was the electoral “number cruncher” for the U.S. Presidential Elections in 2008, 2012, 2016, and 2020 and in January 2021, went on to anchor Al Jazeera’s U.S. presidential inauguration coverage from Washington DC.

On 17 March 2022 Kamahl announced on-air that he was leaving Al Jazeera after 16 and a half years.

This from stuff.co.nz:

Kamahl Santamaria quit TVNZ after at least one female in the newsroom complained about inappropriate behaviour, Stuff understands.

Santamaria’s exit – just 32 days after he officially began presenting Breakfast – was announced yesterday afternoon.

The state-owned broadcaster has described Santamaria’s situation, in which he was off-air for more than a week before quitting, as being down to a “family emergency”.

However, Stuff understands that is not the full story – and that at least one female in the newsroom had complained about inappropriate behaviour from Santamaria.

TVNZ has repeatedly refused to answer a stack of specific questions this week. That includes new chief executive Simon Power, who did not respond to emails from Stuff.

Power was appointed to TVNZ’s top job five months ago, after previously being acting chief executive of Westpac bank and a Cabinet Minister in John Key’s National Government.

After Santamaria’s resignation was announced on Saturday afternoon, Stuff called TVNZ’s top lawyer, Brent McAnulty, who is also director of corporate affairs and a member of TVNZ’s executive.

When asked a number of times about complaints against Santamaria, and, whether TVNZ stood by its description of a “family emergency”, McAnulty said TVNZ had “nothing more to add”.

Santamaria’s resignation came the day after Stuff reported he’d been off-air for over a week, with TVNZ offering no explanation to staff or viewers, including Santamaria’s co-hosts.

In an email to newsroom staff on Saturday, TVNZ’s Head of News and Current Affairs Paul Yurisich said he’d accepted Santamaria’s resignation.

“I want to let you all know that I have accepted the resignation of Breakfast presenter Kamahl Santamaria,” Yurisich’s email said.

“Kamahl has been on leave the last week, while he dealt with a personal matter which required his full attention and he has now advised that he wishes to take an extended break with his family.

“Kamahl is focussed on his family at this time, and we ask that everyone respects their wish for privacy.”

Santamaria did not respond to an email from Stuff yesterday, prior to his resignation.

On Friday morning, Santamaria’s wife said they were dealing with a “family emergency” and declined further comment, other than her husband was in New Zealand.

Santamaria started at TVNZ a month ago, appearing as a guest on Breakfast on April 22 before beginning as a host officially on April 27.

He replaced Kiwi broadcasting icon John Campbell, who shifted into a new role of chief correspondent for TVNZ’s 1 News.

Santamaria returned to New Zealand after around 16 years presenting news bulletins for Al Jazeera in Qatar.

He was recruited by Yurisich. Stuff understands concerns were raised with Yurisich over the process of Santamaria’s recruitment.

In this month’s Budget, Broadcasting Minister Kris Faafoi – a former TVNZ journalist – announced $327m of taxpayer funding over three years for a new “quality public media” entity formed from merging TVNZ and RNZ.

“Our decision to create a new independent and future-focused public media entity is about achieving this objective, and we will support it with a significant funding increase,” Faafoi said.

“As people change the way they get their news, information and entertainment from almost limitless sources, it is vital that there is still a strong platform for New Zealanders to see and hear themselves.”